Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Student Deployment – Day 3 and 4

Days 3 and 4 of our deployment were hectic, overwhelming and followed an unplanned, unexpected path. We had hoped to get the media during our initial passing out of the laptops but when they didn’t show, we cut our losses and moved on. As we started Wednesday we had plans to teach a bit of Write and Record; 10 minutes into training Paul showed up saying the prime minister’s wife, lots of ministers and the media would be there in another 10 minutes.

The Prime Minister's wife giving a speech about the project.

It was really encouraging to see the country excited about this project and it was great for us to be on the only national television station; now, everyone knows us and what we’re doing. The downside was that the day was not very productive for teaching.

We are teaching two classes of 40 students and Class 1 meets Monday Wednesday and Class 2 meets Tuesday Thursday. Early on many of the kids did not understand this rotation and we had 70 kids in one room with another 25 adults from the government, parents, and media. Again, despite the setback in training, it was encouraging and beneficial to have so many people beginning to become aware of our project.

Too many kids in one classroom.

The fourth day was, again, filled with too many students but we had more structure with fewer media and ministers in the room. We recapped what we attempted the previous day and made it clear that we would only allow students in Class 1 into the room on Monday. By the end of the day the students were able to take pictures, save pictures and insert their pictures into Write (Word). It seems like a small step but it is a major challenge when using a new interface.

-XO Mike

3 comments:

  1. Michael Stein, Sao Tome media star! Hip Hip Hooray. You're really learning how to be flexible and "turn on a dime" aren't you? By the way, how's your portugese coming along? Is it necessary for you to use it very often?

    Random stuff: Elise's flowers were delivered this morning and Sandy says they're beautiful. Hillary called me on Monday a.m. and said she's doing well. I saw on the news that there was a complete solar eclipse in India this morning (tonight here) and I'm wondering if she got to see it. Tini should be arriving on the 23rd. I'm starting physical therapy on my neck and shoulders on Thursday -- don't know why, but they haven't been quite right for awhile. Na, AK and I are going to C'dale next Wednesday for Eric Crippen's wedding. I'm taking my Conference time (3 1/2 days off) plus a weekend. Should be fun.
    xxoo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a short email from Hilly the other day. Sounds like she's having fun. I'm going to start looking for deals on flights to India to see if I can visit her! :-)

    Have fun in Carbondale! I'm really missing it this summer. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be fabulous if you could visit her! I know she'd love it, too. I think Dad's going and BJ is going in October. I think they're going to take a side trip to see the Taj Mahal which is about 350 miles northeast of Mumbai. What are you thinking of going?

    I miss you! I love you, son.
    xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete